You’re all signed up for the Education Slice
Thank you for your interest in our service.
Watch out for a confirmation email from our subscriptions team. Once you have confirmed you will join the community of over 35,000 subscribers who are receiving daily Education intelligence to lead, innovate and grow.
Note: Due to the nature of this message you may find this in your "promotions" or "spam" folders, please check there. If nothing arrives within a few minutes let us know. If you do not receive this email we will be happy to help get you set up.
Adding the email address news@industryslice..com, will help to ensure all newsletters arrive directly to your inbox.
Recent Editions
Education Slice
National
The Trump administration is withholding more than $2bn in U.S. Department of Education funding approved by Congress earlier this year by delaying a routine federal budget process known as “apportionment,” raising concerns about potential disruptions to education programs and possible legal challenges. As of May 21, the White House Office of Management and Budget had withheld full or partial funding for 34 education programs, including more than $1.8bn tied to competitive grant programs and most of the $790m allocated to the Institute of Education Sciences, the department’s research arm. The administration has previously proposed eliminating all 33 competitive grant programs and sharply cutting research funding, proposals Congress rejected in the fiscal 2026 budget. While larger formula funding streams such as Title programs and special education grants remain unaffected, education advocates and budget experts warned that prolonged delays could prevent the Education Department from issuing grants or renewing existing programs later this year. More than $1bn of the withheld funding could expire and return to the Treasury within four months if not released. The administration said it is reviewing federal spending to ensure alignment with presidential priorities rather than distributing funds “on autopilot.” Critics argue the strategy represents an unprecedented use of the apportionment process and could violate federal laws prohibiting the executive branch from refusing to spend money appropriated by Congress.
Full Issue
Education Slice
California
Los Angeles USD is facing significant layoffs, with over 1,000 workers expected to lose their jobs following a recent Board of Education decision. Acting Superintendent Andres Chait acknowledged the impact of these layoffs, stating: “All of us recognize that a reduction in force creates significant uncertainty and personal hardships for employees, families and school communities.” The district's fiscal stability plan anticipates cuts exceeding $3.6bn over the next three years, potentially affecting 6,000 positions, nearly 10% of the workforce. Factors contributing to these cuts include declining enrollment and the expiration of COVID-relief funds. Local 99 executive director Max Arias criticized the necessity of the layoffs, asserting that the district's financial crisis is overstated. The final version of the fiscal stability plan is set to be reviewed in June.
Full Issue
Education Slice
Texas
Eight schools in Florida and Georgia are set to pilot a new safety approach using drones to combat school shootings. Deltona High School in Florida will install 39 drones designed to distract attackers with high-pitched sounds and nonlethal pepper balls. “Quite frankly, this is the future,” said Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood during a demonstration. The drones will be activated by educators through an emergency alert system, allowing professional pilots to respond within 15 seconds. However, safety experts like Michael Dorn caution that the technology is unproven and may distract from essential safety practices. The initiative is backed by state grants, with Florida and Georgia allocating $550,000 each for the pilot programs. Critics argue that while innovative, the drones may not effectively address the complexities of real-life emergencies.
Full Issue
Education Slice
Florida
Eight schools in Florida and Georgia are set to pilot a new safety approach using drones to combat school shootings. Deltona High School will install 39 drones designed to distract attackers with high-pitched sounds and nonlethal pepper balls. “Quite frankly, this is the future,” said Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood during a demonstration. The drones will be activated by educators through an emergency alert system, allowing professional pilots to respond within 15 seconds. However, safety experts like Michael Dorn caution that the technology is unproven and may distract from essential safety practices. The initiative is backed by state grants, with Florida and Georgia allocating $550,000 each for the pilot programs. Critics argue that while innovative, the drones may not effectively address the complexities of real-life emergencies.
Full Issue